Sunday, October 18, 2009

Baked Potato Soup


James has been bugging me for quite some time to find a new potato soup recipe. The one I usually make has celery and carrots, which aren't his favorite. So, I found the Baked Potato Soup recipe in Home Again, Home Again and I thought I'd give it a try. According to James, it's his new favorite potato soup. Am I a good wife or what? haha I have to agree...it was yummy! It was a really simple dish to make and it would be sure to impress your guests! Everyone likes potato soup so I'll go ahead and include the recipe:
Baked Potato Soup
4 large baking potatoes, baked a cooled (I just cooked them in boiling water, like mashed potatoes, and it worked just fine)
2/3 cup margarine
2/3 cup flour
7 cups of a milk (Yes, there are really 7 cups of milk!)
4 green onions, sliced
12 slices of bacon, crisp cooked and crumbled (I used 8 and it was plenty)
1 1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Peel the potatoes and chop into pieces (We like the skins so I kept them on, much easier). Melt the margarine in a large pot. Stir in the flour until smooth. Add the milk, gradually, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Add the potatoes and green onions. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add the bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Heat until the cheese melts, stirring constantly. Ladle into soup bowls. Serves 8
Note: If you plan on reheating the soup in the microwave I would recommend not putting all of the bacon into the large pot of soup, and just putting it in the individual bowls. When you microwave the soup with the bacon it makes the bacon chewy and hard to eat. If you will be reheating the soup on the stove the bacon stays crispy :)
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment